From outlining injury prevention programs to assessing an acute knee injury, from developing a runner’s asthma action plan
to treating chronic back pain in a dancer, Dr. Koutures strives to use his pediatric and sports medicine training to provide
a full spectrum of non-operative care for any injury or illness related to sport or performance. To successfully appreciate
the demands on an athlete or performer, Dr. Koutures considers biomechanical issues, potential nutritional deficiencies,
training schedules and developmental concerns to help provide a comprehensive and personalized evaluation. Many situations do not
have a textbook answer
, thus a well-informed patient and family can help make an educated decision about the appropriate
diagnostic and treatment plan. Dr. Koutures strongly believes in the team approach- regularly communicating with primary medical
professionals, instructors, coaches, athletic trainers, physical therapists, and other key personnel- to help maximize athletic
and artistic performance both in the short-term and to foster life-long healthy exercise habits.
WHAT DOES DR. KOUTURES SPECIALIZE IN?
- Any bone or joint injury, with an interest in complex cases, questions over surgical vs. non-surgical options,
or issues particular to the growing skeleton of the young athlete/performer.
SPEAKING AND PRESENTATIONS
- Shoulder and elbow pain in the overhead athletes (throwers, swimming, tennis and volleyball)
- Acute fractures
- Back pain in young athletes and performers
- Complicated hip and groin pain
- Acute and chronic knee pain
- Shin/lower leg pain
- Acute and chronic foot and ankle pain
MEDICAL CONCERNS- Any illness or disease state that influences exercise, sport, or performance.
Focus on the young person and what they CAN do rather than on what they CAN’T do.
- Sports-related concussions/head injuries
- The asthmatic athlete/performer
- The dancer/athlete who needs to gain(or lose) weight
- The dancer or athlete who is always “tired” or falling behind peers
- Questions about supplements and nutrition
- Skin conditions in active young people
INJURY AND ILLNESS PREVENTION – Evidence-based programs to keep the athlete the field, the performer on the stage,
and to make participation as healthy and fulfilling as possible
- Pre-Participation Physical Exams
- Knee Injury Reduction Programs- particular focus for adolescent female participants in soccer, gymnastics, volleyball
- Shoulder concerns in overhead athletes (throwers, swimming, tennis and volleyball)
Dr. Koutures regularly gives talks on sports and performance medicine topics to parents, coaches, administrators and
fellow medical professionals on local, statewide and national levels.
Past presentations have included
Dr. Koutures is eager to add your group or organization to this list- please feel free to contact him for further information.
- Pre-season first aid and injury prevention for youth football and baseball programs in Tustin, Anaheim Hills, Irvine,
and Orange, CA
- Nutritional issues for young dancers
- Update on Care for Injured Athletes and Head Injury Management for the California Pediatric Emergency Medical Services
- Dance Medicine Update for Children’s Hospital of Orange County Grand Rounds
- Knee Injury Reduction Programs for Orange County Chapters of the California Athletic Training Association
and the American Physical Therapy Association
- Dance Medicine, Ankle Injuries and Update on Infectious Mononucleosis for the American Academy of Pediatrics Practical
Pediatrics Course on Sports Medicine